Available Paintings

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

View of the Bridge, oil 8 X 10


Hi, I painted this landscape yesterday. I painted from a photograph because I didn't want to take a bunch of still life props with me to Monday morning painting. Just moments ago when I laid this down to photograph it my cat jumped on it, they're so fast! Now she has a green foot and I've got a few little touch ups to do. I haven't painted many water scenes but I think this came out pretty well. I thought the reflections looked good, I added the bridge later. Let me know how you think I did, I wonder if the reflection of the bridge should be darker. I think landscapes are hard because of all the greens. Kind of nice to do something different though. Thanks for checking in on me. Barb Check me out on Ebay SOLD

12 comments:

Debra J.Sepos said...

I think you did a fine job on this painting. I would not make the bridge darker. Anything in the distance would have atmosphere and thus be lighter than the objects in the foreground. I also like the blue and white tea pot very much.

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Debra, I really appreciate your nice comments. Isn't blogging nice, you get to meet such nice people and show them your work. Barb

Unknown said...

Beautiful Barbara! I especially like the feel of the water...so calm and still.

Barbara Pask said...

Thank you Cindy, I'm so glad you like it. Barb

Anonymous said...

Green is one of the most difficult colors to master but you used it pretty well ! I love the colors of this piece. The reflection of the bridge on the water shouldn't be darker, I think, just because of the perspective. You just gave a good depth to this landscape and a darkest reflection would reduce it.

Dean H. said...

Very nice job, Barb. The bridge reflection looks great...it's just a tad darker than the bridge (just as it should be). Likewise the greens are varied and interesting...I like the addition of warms.

Dean

Barbara Pask said...

Thank you Catherine and Dean, I'll just leave it as is. I appreciate the honest critiques. Barb

Frank Gardner said...

The reflections are USUALLY darker just a bit and you nailed it. Depends on lots of variables, you need to just paint what you see.
I am glad to see you try something a little different Barb.

Barbara Pask said...

Thanks Frank, Means a lot that you like it. I'll be doing more landscapes. Barb

Jack Riddle said...

Barb--was able to catch up with your paintings after a short absence from your site. I love the bridge and it shows how well you have learned to paint from a photo. There is real presence there. The flowers are beautiful too, and the melon-I'll have to think more about that as a subject. The blue onion (I think) teapot has a lot of detail with few brushstrokes. Nice! Jack

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Jack, Thanks for visiting and your very nice comments. You should paint melon, it was a fun subject. Barb

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Very nice.