Available Paintings

Monday, April 16, 2012

Having some fun with acrylics



Hi there, I started out years ago painting with acrylics as a lot of people seem to do, I think beginners have a fear of oils for some reason. I learned to love oils and thought why would anyone use acrylics unless of course for health reasons. Well I was looking at a book on painting with acrylics and it inspired me to give them a try again and I have been having a ball. I feel a little rushed to work with them although I am adding a medium. I mixed my paint, put it on with a palette knife and then dabbed at it with aluminum foil to create texture. After that dried I painted my poppies and played with the edges with a very wet brush. I have painted a few more after this and I'll share those soon. I wanted this to be kind of an abstract floral. It is painted on a 8 x 10 canvas.

Take a look at some of my paintings on Ebay

Have a wonderful day

6 comments:

Pattie Wall said...

I love the effect you created with the texture. This one is great, Barb! You should do some more! I hear ya, I did acrylics before I ever did oil. But once I did oil, It became more of a fave. The drying time of acrylics sure is nice though, right?

Barbara Pask said...

That is so nice of you Pattie, I am having the best time with these acrylics. I ordered more, lol. Passing up my oils lately for acrylics, who knows??

hmuxo said...

Beautiful texture, Barbara! I've never worked with acrylics and understand that it dries quicker than oil so its harder to paint..but you look like you found the answer! Great job with these poppies..I look forward to seeing more of your acrylic paintings...

Dean H. said...

Looks as though you're onto something good, Barbara! I like how you added texture with the foil!!

Barbara Pask said...

Thanks so much Hilda. They dry shockingly fast, I have been using a medium to help with that. I'm sure it's like any medium, the more you work with it the better it becomes. For now I am having the fun, lol.

Barbara Pask said...

Thank you Dean, you want to try it, you know you do, lol.