Available Paintings

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Nancy Franke's workshop

Hi, Wednesday we drove down to Gainesville Ga. For a workshop with Nancy Franke. I have loved and admired Nancy's work for years and tried to get into one of her workshops last year.  This was about an hour north of Atlanta so one very long days drive each way.  This was two days but I wish it had been longer. 

Nancy is just a ball of energy and I loved it.  There were fifteen in our class and she ran from person to person offering instruction and wiping things with her finger, lol. She started with a demo, I have included some photos of that.  She started with a paper towel, it was pretty much an abstract painting to start, I think that a great way to end up with a loose painting.  We painted on linen panels and though I normally use stretch canvases that may have converted me. More expensive but I like the way you can wipe paint off of them.  I came home with six practice paintings, here are five of them, the one with the four small paintings took maybe ten minutes each, all of the others are about an hour.  I made notes after the workshop so I wouldn't forget anything. I have some pet commissions to finish and then I'll be doing still life's and putting some of this into practice. Totally loved the experience and I'm hoping to get her to Cincinnati to teach a workshop. 

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

They all look so nice Barbara! Looks like an excellent workshop! I don't know how you painted this so quickly!...Impressive!!

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Hilda! Thank you, I really enjoyed it. Sometimes I think I paint better when I paint fast, lol