Available Paintings

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Still life


Hi,  I decided to paint a still life,  it has been a while since I painted one.  I tried to pre-mix colors, something I have been wanting to try.  Kind of worked,  pre-mixed some and mixed others as I went.  I do see the advantage to pre-mixing,  probably keeps you from playing around in your painting too much and graying down your colors.  I set this up in a box,  small silver tray,  silver cream pitcher and a pear.  This is oil on a 8 X 10 canvas panel. 

5 comments:

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

Premixing colors has some advantages at least in plein air. Spend 15 minutes to get the major colors then you don't waste time as the light changes.

Like that pear.

Barbara Pask said...

Yes Bill, I could really see the advantage for plein air, might keep you from chasing the light. Glad you stopped by.

Barbara Pask said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol said...

Hi Barbara. I have been battling to get this comment to load! Hope it doesn't come through twice. Dial up is a pain! What I wanted to say was - your still life is lovely. You really make the silver glow and I love the green reflections. Premixing is a great idea when one remembers and yes, it does stop the fiddling and changing of the mind later.

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Carol, Two comments would have been ok, lol. I appreciate all of them. Thank you, probably should do more still lifes, it is always good practice. You are right about remembering to pre-mix, I just jump right in when I paint. Can't wait!