Available Paintings

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My painting from Susan Carlin's workshop


Hello, Last weekend I took an online portrait workshop with Susan Carlin, a few months ago I took a still life workshop with her. I loved both of the workshops. Susan is an excellent teacher and a fun person, we had a lot of laughs in the process of learning. Susan provided the reference, this sweet little boy. Sorry I cannot share the original photo as it belongs to Susan. We painted until lunch, sent in a photo of our painting for a critique and then painted the rest of the day. A few days later she critiqued most of the class online. After that critique I worked on the painting a bit more and I am pretty happy with it now. The likeness is pretty good but there are a few smaller things. I really do think you could work on a painting forever and ever, at some point you have to say good enough. This is oil on a 8 x 10 canvas panel. There is a link on my sidebar to Susan's blog, she also paints live on ustream every Wednesday evening.

7 comments:

Barbara Pask said...

Hi there Josh, Thank you so much for the great comment, I am pretty pleased with him. Don't think I plan to do portrait commissions but it is just another area I would like to be good in. I want to paint everything, lol. Sorry I missed you the other night, visit again soon.

Art with Liz said...

This is really beautiful Barbara! Such a lovely expression on his face - you certainly nailed those skin tones!

Lokelani Forrest said...

Great job on this little boy. How fortunate for you to participate in Susan's workshops.

Carol Blackburn said...

Great work Barbara, as always.

Barbara Pask said...

Thanks very much Liz

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Lokelani, Thank you, it was fun. She will probably do more , you should consider getting in on one at some point maybe.

Barbara Pask said...

Thank you Carol, appreciate your vote of confidence. Painting is up and down isn't it? It is so hard but so fun.