Available Paintings

Friday, April 22, 2011

Gravy Boat


Hi, I recently purchased this gravy boat from Ebay, they described it as being "flow blue". Not sure if it is but I love blue and white. This is my first time to paint it, the shape made it a bit challenging. I didn't plan for it to end up directly centered on the canvas but the left side of our brain wants things to be centered and spaced perfectly and I think it made me do it, lol. Funny how that happens, I sketched it out in thinned down paint first but as I made adjustments it moved somehow. I have started a larger painting using it again in a more elaborate set up and I am painting it so it definitely looks like flow blue. This is oil on a 8 x 10 canvas, not signed yet but I think it's done. A good attempt I think for my first try.

Have a great weekend

6 comments:

dglenncasey said...

Excellent job Barb. I'm trying to do some still life paintings myself, but it's slow going. I pick up all kinds of pieces at the thrift store.

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Dave, Thank you! I just love shopping for props, not that I need anymore, lol. Painting still lifes in my opinion is the best way to improve your skills. You are completely in charge with a still life, you design it, light it and decide what is important for the viewer. Have fun and thank you for stopping by.

Diane Hoeptner said...

So true--about being "in charge" with a still life! Looking forward to seeing future paintings with this neat piece!

Barbara Pask said...

Thanks Diane and thank you for visiting.

Marie Theron said...

I own an old blue/white gravy boat with saucer, Barbara. But, I do not know how I will ever paint it looking so real!

Barbara Pask said...

Thank you very much Marie, you should paint yours. I'm sure you can do a beautiful job with it.